The holiday season is upon us, and it’s time to get in the holiday mood! A great place to start is your home, and even if you’re not ready to haul out the holly, decorate the tree, or light the menorah, there are some simple swaps you can make that will have your family feeling that holiday spirit. The best news? The changes we’re talking about require very little effort or expense.
- Toss in some new throw pillows. No matter which holiday you celebrate, it’s easy to find pillows that match your traditions and fit your style. From whimsical to ornate, they’re everywhere this time of year, and can turn your furniture into a holiday display.
- Make your bathroom a winter wonderland. It’s simple as can be to switch out towels, bathmats, and even the shower curtain to go with your holiday theme. Want to go the extra mile? Switch your usual soap with a whimsical holiday-themed or elegant metallic dispenser. If you keep a scent diffuser in your bathroom, you can easily change it to match the rest of the room.
- Holiday up your kitchen. Just about every store you visit this time of year has their own spin on holiday dish towels, potholders, and more. If you’re able, it’s also a nice touch to hang up some kitchen linens that have been handed down through your family. You’ll feel nostalgic and cozy every time you see your grandmother’s fingertip towel, or your great-aunt’s potholders. On the table, a simple centerpiece can change the mood, turning it to all things holiday, even if it’s as simple as a potted poinsettia.
- Make things merry with candles. Candles soothe and delight, whether they’re for a religious purpose or simply to create a warmer ambience. They don’t even have to be holiday themed! Simple tapers are an elegant and attractive addition to any centerpiece or holiday display.
- Switch up your scents. Nothing triggers warm memories of the holidays like certain scents. Whether you use scented candles, oil diffusers, or even strategically placed cinnamon brooms, choose scents that take you back to happy childhood memories, and you’ll find you’re in a holiday mood.
Ready for a change in your décor that’s a little more substantial than linens and pillows? Smith Village Home Furnishings has bedroom, living room, and dining room furniture to suit your style and your budget. A family-owned business for more than 80 years, we pride ourselves on providing our customers with top quality furnishings at the lowest possible prices. Visit us online to view our current stock or call us at (717) 428-1921 for more information!
What says “holiday season” more than a healthy dose of sparkle and shine? A little bit of blingy décor can make any home feel more festive, and make everyone feel more like celebrating. The best news? Metallic home décor is a hot trend right now, so if you choose wisely, you’ll be able to hang onto that shine even after the holidays are over. No matter what your style of décor, you can find metallics to mix with your existing pieces and brighten the look of your home.
Continue reading Mixing Metallics for a Seasonal Update
Rustic traditional pieces and sleek modern edges have been favorites for the past several years. While these two styles seem as if they’d always be opposing forces, designers today are finding ways to artfully blend classic and contemporary tastes. Choosing antiques no longer requires you to design an entire space around one time period. Instead, use older furniture or artwork as the centerpiece of an otherwise modern living room. Continue reading 2017 Décor Trends to Liven Up Your Living Room
If you want to relax in front of the TV or the fireplace, there’s no better way to do so than in the comfort of a recliner. To many people, a good recliner is like a good friend. They can come home to it every night and never want to get rid of it. Continue reading How to Choose the Perfect Recliner
Many people put off buying a new mattress because they know it can be an exhausting shopping experience, and they realize they will have to live with their decision for a while. With so many mattress brands, models, sizes, prices and features available, how are you supposed to know exactly what you want or need? The truth is that what works for one person may not be the best option for someone else. Read on for some helpful hints. Continue reading How To Choose A Mattress Based On Your Sleeping Style
No other piece of furniture in the home brings family together like the dining room table, whether it’s for a big holiday meal or an early morning breakfast on a quiet Saturday. Finding the right dining room table can be a challenge, but here are some tips that will make the selection process much easier. Continue reading A Gathering Place for Family
Most Americans spend a good portion of their free time relaxing on their sofa, whether they are talking with family and friends, watching television, playing video games or reading.
Finding just the right sofa for your living space is very important, and there are many factors that should be taken into account during this process. Just because a couch looks nice in a store does not necessarily mean it will look as good in your living room. Continue reading Finding Your Perfect Sofa
Nothing brings an interior space together better than a color scheme that makes a statement. However, selecting a color scheme isn’t always easy, and pairing gaudy, showy colors can throw your color scheme into chaos rather than unify a room. Continue reading Liven Up Your Home with Some Color
Working from home has its benefits: you can do your job in your underwear and your boss lets you take as long a lunch break as you’d like. Sure, the perks are great, but they can come with some significant disadvantages. Continue reading A Perfectly Productive Home Office Space
Nothing is more freeing than mixing and matching furniture to create the perfect living concept. Whether it’s a study, an office or the living room, the ability to customize, mix and match furniture patterns, colors and types according to your taste provides for virtually limitless options. Continue reading Love Your Style